People tend to use water instead of coolants because it's cheaper and easily available. But do you know water can cause serious damage to your vehicle which would result in a high cost of repair? Let's walk you through some reasons why you should use coolants instead of water.
- Coolants have additives that promote effective cooling and optimum functioning of the vehicle's cooling system. These additives are not present in water.
- Coolants have anti-rust properties that prevent rusting of the engine and the radiator. Water on the other hand causes metals to corrode when they come in direct contact with them.
- Water boils rapidly whiles coolants have higher boiling points. Water usually boils and evaporates leaving the radiator without fluid over time.
- Water has freezing capabilities. When the water in your radiator freezes it could make your cooling system non-functional and cause severe damage such as cracked engine block or cracks in the radiator. Coolants have anti-freeze properties.
- Use a coolant and save your engine!